April 19, 1918

Mrs. Briget Creighton, wife of the late Michael Creighton, died at the home of her daughter in Lima, early last Friday morning, at the age of 87 years. Her maiden name was Briget Clune and she was born in Clare county, Ireland, and came to this country in the year 1875 and to Ottawa the year after, where she has since lived. She leaves a daughter, Mrs. Harry Riley and husband, four grand children and one sister, Mrs. Jas. Ford, to mourn their great loss.

April 16, 1943

The Putnam county and area blackout Thursday evening of last week was a decided success. Practically at the first blast of the siren which sounded at eight twenty-five lights throughout the town were extinguished and , with the exception of the faint rays of a quarter-moon, the village was left in utter darkness. All of the captains of the air-raid wardens, fire wardens, police and ambulance corps, report wholehearted cooperation on the part of their crews, and those members report the united support of the citizens. The above was not only true in Ottawa, but in all parts of the county. The state office also reports that the entire district was well prepared to meet a blackout emergency according to the success of the test Thursday evening. Every village in the county reported to the county headquarters during the thirty minutes that the lights were out. All told of the success in their respective communities. Claud L. Recker, chairman of the county Civilian Defense organization, and his assistants appreciate th efforts of the people of the county in making this event the success it was, and express their thanks to the public in general.


Funeral services for Mrs. Anton E. Kohls, wife of Anton Kohls of Glandorf, were held Wednesday morning in St. John’s Catholic church at Glandorf. Mrs. Kohls was a native of Glandorf and was born on January 19, 1876, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Mershman. She was married to Anton Kohls at Glandorf on April 18, 1899. She is survived by her husband, four children, Miss Louise Kohls, at home; Mrs. Sylvester Jostpile, Linus and Clarence Kohls, of Glandorf and five grandchildren.

April 18, 1968

A small tornado struck in the Glandorf area late Sunday afternoon, doing extensive damage to several farm buildings as a storm front moved through this area. Severe damage was done to a barn on the John Hermiller farm when the high winds struck about 4:45 p.m. The barn roof was lifted off and then settled back down, ruining the upper part of the structure. Mr. Hermiller and his son, Dennis, were in the barn when they saw the storm approach. They decided to wait out the storm inside the building and were in it when the winds hit. However, they escaped injury. Debris from the barn was blown through a closed door on a nearby garage. Mr. Hermiller and Dennis did not see the tornado, but another son, Carl, who lives about two miles to the west, said he could see it move across the fields. The storm also blew down a small garage on the Charles Siefker farm, and tore a roof off a building on the Stanley Hovest farm in the same neighborhood, and blew down a large tree at the Edwin Duling home in Glandorf. Limbs were broken from trees and a few trees were blown down in other localities. Funnel clouds were noted also in the Delphos, Findlay, Fremont and Toledo area.


A bucket brigade formed by neighbors probably prevented a serious fire loss on the Carl Weis farm at New Cleveland about 2:20 p.m. Saturday. A passing motorist noticed flames breaking out of the side of a sheep shed and summoned help from neighbors. While a call was put in to Ottawa fire department, the neighbors carried water from a nearby well to keep the flames down and had the fire nearly extinguished when the firemen arrived. Fire Chief Guy Kersh estimated damage at $100. He said cause of the fire which broke out outside a door, was not determined. Six sheep in the shed were not injured. Several other farm buildings and the house were close by, and could have been damaged by the fire if it were not for the quick action of the neighbors, Kersh said.


It took a ruling from OHSAA Commissioner Paul Landis to decide the outcome of a track meet between Columbus Grove, Pandora-Gliboa and Ottawa-Glandorf at the Titan stadium Tuesday afternoon, but Landis ruled in favor of O-G, and the Titans eked out a one-half point victory over Grove. The final score was Ottawa-Glandorf 62, Columbus Grove 61 ½ and Pandora-Gilboa 35 ½.

April 21, 1993

On June 16, it will be a year since a fawn was found lying in a road with no mother in sight. A Putnam County man, Jerome Horstman, Cloverdale, picked up the wet and shivering baby deer so that it would not get hit by a passing car. Jerome placed the deer on the floor of his pickup truck and drove to his brother’s home where he contacted the game warden who issued him a permit to care for the fawn until October 1. The deer was thought to be only a few days old. Len Horstman and his family housed the fawn in a pen on their dairy farm. Also being taken care of in the pen were some small kittens and a baby duck. They all liked eating cat food and began their new found friendships. The fawn was also bottle fed cow’s milk until September when it was weaned off the bottle and allowed to run where it wanted. By October 1 Bambi, which he became known as, was to be released from the pen so that he could run free and return to the wild from where he had come. Jerome’s nieces, Kelly and Krista, said that it was interesting to see the deer and the duck, Quacker, together for they had become such good friends that they didn’t want to be separated. They say that Bambi has gone to the woods behind their property for a day or two and still comes back occasionally to the farm where he was raised. Quacker too can bee seen close to the woods looking for his friend when Bambi has been gone for a while. The family says that they feel very blessed to be so close to nature and knowing they have helped one fawn survive.