Evelyn Martin
Evelyn Martin


May 16, 1919

The search by Mrs. John Lammers for her daughter, Anna, ended last week, when word was received that her body had been found in Buffalo. During the epidemic of last winter she suffered a severe attack of influenza and was confined to her bed for several weeks, and after her recovery it was noticed that the attack effected her mind. On the evening of April 12th, she returned home with her mother, and as the hour of retiring came, told her mother that she wished to finish some knitting that she was working on. Her mother retired and soon fell asleep and so awaking later noticed that her daughter was not in bed. She immediately called, but receiving no response went downstairs to look for her. She was not found in the house and a search of the premises was made, but no trace of the missing girl could be found. Help was then called and the neighborhood searched with out any results. It was later found that she had been at the Nickel Plate Station in Leipsic and had inquired for the first train out. She purchased a ticket for Cleveland and from there to Buffalo. The conductor on the train recognized a picture of the girl and also her request to be directed to a suitable hotel. He advised her to go to the Y.W.C.A. Upon arrival in Buffalo all trace of the girl was lost as she failed to go to the address given her by the conductor. Every effort was made to find her through the police and other agencies, but she had disappeared and no trace of her could be found. On Saturday of last week the family received word that her body had been found in the Niagra River on Friday. Her remains were brought to the family home near New Cleveland and laid to rest at the cemetery at that place. Like many others, her body had withstood the ravages of the terrible disease, but it had so destroyed the brain cells and nervous system as to unbalance her mind temporally.

May 19, 1944

An automobile owned by Jack Varner, of Continental, and driven by Ruth Zeiler of Columbus Grove, left the street, jumped the curb and came to a halt between the residence properties of Miss Mildred Ogan on West Main street Friday evening, causing damage. The occupants escaped practically unhurt. Sheriff Potts who investigated, arrested Varner on the charge of permitting a minor to operate his car without a driver’s permit or license. He was given a fine of $50 and costs when arraigned before a local justice of the peace. A part of the fine was suspended on condition that the damage to the property would be repaired.


Mrs. Elizabeth VonderEmbse, aged and lifelong resident of Putnam County died at the home of her son, Sylvester VonderEmbse, in Kalida, Sunday afternoon at three-thirty. She had been in failing health for almost a year suffering from complications which were due to her advanced age. Mrs. VonderEmbse was born in Putnam County on October 4, 1857, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Gebhart Utrup. She was eighty-six years of age and spent practically all of her life in Kalida community. Her husband, Louis VonderEmbse, preceded her in death. She is survived by three children, Mrs. Clara Donnelly, of Columbus; Sylvester, of Kalida and Edward of Delphos. She was a member of St. Michael’s Catholic church and the Christian Mothers society of that parish. Funeral services were held in the church Wednesday morning at ten o’clock. Rev. M. Muehe the pastor, officiated. The remains were interred in the parish cemetery.

May 15, 1969

Mrs. Elsie Bennet, of near Continental, reported to the sheriff’s department that she returned home early Saturday morning and found a strange man in her house trailer who attempted to rob her. Mrs. Bennet said that she entered her home, about two miles northeast of Continental, and had a cup of coffee before going into her bedroom where she found a heavy-set man with a stocking cap pulled over his face. The man asked her for money, and when she told him she did not have any he left. He did not try to molest her, although both of them fell down going out of the house trailer. Mrs. Bennet skinned a knee in the fall. The man mentioned that, “They got my buddy and I have to keep going.” when he asked her directions to the nearest town. He then left through a field towards Continental, Mrs. Bennet told officers. Deputy Sheriff Richard Frantz, who was called to the scene, said that the telephone wires were pulled loose inside the trailer, and the spark plug wires were pulled from the distributor of her car. After the man left, Mrs. Bennet said she got a shotgun and fired three times in an attempt to attract attention, but then she walked to a neighbor’s house to call the sheriff’s department. Mrs. Bennet told Frantz that she had the trailer locked but investigation revealed that one of the doors could be forceed open. The incident is still under investigation.


Dave Bruskotter pitched a one-hitter last Friday as he hurled Ft. Jennings to a 2-0 victory over Delphos St. John on the Blue Jay home field. The game was a pitching duel between Bruskotter and Delphos’ Calvelage, who allowed the Muskies only four hits. Bruskotter did not issue a walk and struck out three, while Calvelage wiffed seven and passed four. Jennings made the most of their hits, making them count for both of their runs.

May 18, 1994

Ottoville mayor Pat Horstman presented Norbert Miller with a certificate of appreciation for his 33 years of service to the volunteer fire department.